12-12-12, A new begining : An Ordeal for a just cause



This post has been written by Mr.Chandrashekhar, a graphic designer by profession and one of the readers of this blog... sharing with us an experience that taught him a zillion lessons! ;)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have been a part of the YES!+ for a few months having done my first course in October-November 2012 and have previously attended weekly Satsangs in Gagangiri Ashram, Malabar Hill. I was invited for a live guided meditation by Sri Sri Ravi Shankar on 12-12-12 publicized as ‘12-12-12: A New Beginning’ by the much admired YES!+ teacher, Shibani Sachdeva. Having attended the morning live Meditation I was eager to attend the evening session as well.

The events that unfolded on the way to my teacher’s house truly gave my life ‘A New Beginning’ and I’m more than happy to say that this holds true for a few others around me.


As I had plenty of time on my hand, I decided to walk it up to my teacher’s house which is at Colaba from my institute which is near VT at 4:30pm. The guided live meditation on this occasion which has cosmological significance was scheduled at 5:30pm. At around 4:40pm, I was crossing the Fashion street next to the Azad Maidan where I came across an unusual sight, one that other Mumbaikars may be familiar with.



Four 2ft x 2ft wooden cages, containing 60 birds in all were placed unattended on a hath gadi (Hand cart) parked behind a tourist bus. Initially I did not pay much heed to this sight as the only thing in my mind was the live meditation starting in another 45 minutes. Had it not been for the cries of the birds, I would have been there.

The hideous sight reminded of the times when I didn't raise my voice for the poor voiceless beings earlier. I too like you have seen animals especially poultry being ill treated on several occasions. The only thing different this time was I decided not to keep shut and move on. 



While my initial interrogation, the people handling the cages were reluctant to say anything, but only after some threats did the drunken conductor spill the beans. They were about to be subjected to a 12hour torturous journey to Goa, and that too... to my horror was without food or water!!!!

I immediately called Shibani Sachdeva, my teacher who I knew had good NGO contacts. She told me to stay with the birds and get pictures as well as names and numbers of the people involved in this operation and said she will send someone over soon. But it was out of fear that the people so associated refused to reveal their identity.


After the lack of co-operation, I approached the person shown to me as the owner. The owner told me that he usually sells his birds within Bombay but since Christmas was coming he had received a bulk order from a "Goan rearing farm".


In a few minutes I got a call from a lawyer who also represented PFA(People for animals) who warned me to be on my toes as the whole activity of transporting geese(both domestic and wild), turkeys and wild ducks was illegal and that she'll reach the scene soon!

On her arrival she confirmed that both the geese and the ducks were classified as 'wild animals' by the Indian law, and that their slaughter and consumption was against the law.

We successfully stalled the bus and barred all activities pertaining to the same. We alerted the police immediately who were there in about 20 minutes.


Every few minutes members from various NGO’s including a Jain NGO and other animal welfare organizations poured in to lend their support. It was an overwhelming experience to see how my determination to free these birds got so many nature lovers together in one evening. I wish to thank Mahavir and Jain NGO's for their overwhelming support!

My teacher along with the lawyer helped me document the incident. Subsequently an FIR was also lodged. The animal welfare activists finally arranged for transportation at 11:00pm with the consent of the police to shift the birds to the SPCA Animal Hospital at Parel who willingly extended their support along with housing, until the case was resolved.


Their future is dependent on a court hearing on the matter, however with the lack of interest from the police their future remains uncertain.

Comments

Post a Comment