Drawing the line


We all love being in power.
Being at a position where you dictate the terms and conditions, where even slightest scintillation would compel everyone to re-think their decisions and where words once spoken cannot be overrun by anything else!
Every company has those few departments, people and influencers, who set the rules for the game. And Human Resource Dept. is 1 such place. Being a part of the HR is no doubt a privilege, but more so, it is a journey full of ethical dilemmas!
Yes! You read it right.
Life in HR Dept. is not a child’s play as it might seem to be. And I am truly having a tough time digesting a few facts here!
Accepting applications for a vacancy through employee referrals is 1 thing. But putting the squeeze on someone’s head and leaving them with no other option but to finalize that candidate is an absolutely different thing!
I was and am stunned seeing this happen right in front of my eyes and not be able to do anything about it!
I mean I don’t have problem if you have already made up your mind as to which “friend” or “relative” you want to bring in the company, but at least do not put up a mockery by calling other candidates, conducting their interviews “just-for-the-heck-of-it”, only to show how “right” your decision is! 
For once, just imagine yourself in other person’s shoes. Will you not feel let down, demotivated and a deep sense of incapability? And all this, just so that someone else could have a frolic time with their friends at work?
My heart sank every time I crossed Cabin No. 4A, where this guy was patiently waiting for his turn. I could clearly see the excitement through his body language. He must have been reciting his answers, preparing to give his best shot and hoping for a positive result, only to know in the end… that “I am sorry. But you are not selected.”
Are we not playing with someone’s emotions and hope in the bargain?
I myself being an HR professional have my ground rules very clear. Never in my life would I cross path with my ethical values. So to all my friends, family and foes, do not expect me get you a job just because I am working in that company. I might help you reach the doorstep, but crossing it and coming inside will have to be totally your efforts and convincing skills. Whether you like it or not.
You are who you are because of the choices you make. And I have made a clear and informed choice. Have you?
 

Comments

  1. HR is HR
    Human Resources is Humanity Reserves
    Is seen from this.
    - Don't ask me where is humanity in this?
    Yes...!! It has the humanity, Considering a person in the mind where he/she is not a relation and being responsible to have a smile on their face is humanity.

    Proud of you and it is true completely
    SIVA is a friend of SHRISHTI in proud :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aawwwhhh! Thank you Siva :D
      I am glad you liked it.

      P.S. Keep motivating me with your words :)

      Delete
  2. these are the pseudo ethics nurtured by so called achievements, desires, valueless education & most important & subtle; wrong ruling in the country. Last week heard a news that Mr. Modi called his MP Priyanka Rawat & asked her not to appoint her father as her secretary. this value based leadership can imbibe morality & ethics in every stream of society & that was lacking since many years in this country. Lets hope for better days ahead.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment