How to manage your 1st Boss

Have you ever know what it feels like, when your boss is giving a lecture at the institute you post graduated from on the topic “How to handle your first boss?” who in fact, is your first boss?

Being a Campus Hiring & Engagement Manager, I receive a lot of invitations from different management and Engineering institutes for scheduling guest lectures with the organization’s Who’s- who and top leaders. I received a similar request from the institute I post graduated from. My professor called me up one evening and asked if I could send one of the senior leaders for a guest lecture on Saturday.

After being told the topic, the only person that came to my mind (obviously) was my boss, Harjeet Khanduja. The topic was “How to handle your 1st boss”. And I knew none other than him could do justice to it.

The lecture went amazingly well and the students were glued till the last minute. Sharing some nuggets from today’s session :

1. Made some mistake? Tell your boss, NOW

If you have made some mistake, don’t hush it under the carpet. You should be the first one to tell it to your boss. What will happen at the max? You will be scolded? Some tough words? It’s okay. That’s way better than facing embarrassment at a later stage in front of 10 other people.

2. Be your Boss’s Brand Ambassador

This doesn’t mean roaming around with a make-up it, obviously! Praising your boss when he is not around works wonders. Firstly, it makes your boss look good in front of other people. And secondly, when he would come to know that were talking good about him in his absence, you become his unofficial brand ambassador. And who doesn’t like one?

3.  Weekly tracker

It is very important for your manager to know what you are up to professionally. He/ she may not look into your operations every single day, but that doesn’t mean they wouldn’t want to know. So don’t wait for them to ask. Mail them your weekly report/ tracker religiously.

4. Professional Loyalty

There is a thing known as professional loyalty. When someone from the organization asks for any data, either ask your boss before sending or keep him informed and in loop. This way you can avoid surprises and/or backlashes.

5. Patience

Just as you are trying to figure out all about your boss, similarly he too is in the process of understanding you. In the initial few months, patience is the key. If he/she loses their mind over some mistake of yours, it’s okay. It is probably because he got late for a meeting, hasn’t had breakfast yet, got a left, right and center from his own boss for something that does not even concern him. So you may want to re-think before assassinating him in your head!  

6. Tell him your strengths and weaknesses

Your manager may have 10 different people or more reporting into him. And he may or may not know what your strengths, and most importantly your weaknesses are. So what do you do? Tell him. Candid and honest.

I will give you my own example.

When it comes to people management, I know what to do. But when it comes to numbers, I do get a little sweaty. So the other day over lunch, I told my colleagues and Harjeet was also sitting with us, that how I used to get beaten up from my father for scoring awfully in mathematics. That I hated Chemistry because there was a “2” in “H2O”. And believe me guys, I am not exaggerating.

Now he knows what my weakness is, and has started investing time in turning it into one of my strengths. He is also ensures that when I am playing with data, he gives it a green signal before sending/ publishing.

7.  Build rapport in other departments

You never know what kind of work may come up one fine day. Building rapport with people from other department will not only make your own network stronger, but it will also help you in times where your work requires you to compile data or interact with biggies from other departments.

These are some of the major points that have made a mark in my mind. I don’t have the right words to explain what the feeling is like. It is as if a woman taking a lecture for all the men out there on “How to understand a woman”. Do you get it now? How important and valuable those words would be. Well I hope you do.

I am signing off on a happy note. I hope your first boss (and every boss after that) is like my first boss!

Would love to know your first boss experiences. Drop your comments below.


Comments