That Day After Office | Short Story Abstract

Hello lovely readers.

After being terribly behind schedule and having not posted anything since the start of 2017, I have finally gathered myself to publish this short story abstract that I wrote sometime back. I hope you enjoy it the way I did.
-----------------------------------------------------------

The traffic outside was suffocating. I was waiting for the bus and so were the other half a dozen people leaving from office, watching the cars jam, listening to the not so musical delight of drivers honking all the way. As if the harder they honked, more the number of vehicles would vanish from their lane.

The rattle of engines and the heat was making it unbearable to stand any further. So I decided to walk the kilometer stretch to the railway station and catch the 08:46 pm local. As I briskly walked the regular route I couldn’t help but notice the slowly inching traffic, air that smelled of diesel, petrol, cigarette & sweat and how the single lane was brimming with vehicles.

While there were hundreds of people passing by, some walking like me, others enjoying an air conditioned bumpy ride in their Ola and Uber, none of them seemed to be bothered to see who walked by, which vehicle was standing next to theirs or if there was a suspicious looking man at the corner of the road, possibly a suicide bomber waiting for right moment, for the perfect set of ignorant educated class to arrive and click the secret button somewhere down his pocket, making the bomb go Booooooooom!

None of this seemed to cross the minds of people, whose faces I was looking at and trying hard to read. I wondered, what they must be thinking of. What to make for dinner? Planning a night out with friends? Some were probably in a hurry to reach home before time and catch up on their daily soap operas? The more I looked at them, the more I was intrigued. It always was my favorite pass time. Reading those faces, I mean.

This reminds me, the other day I caught a fast local to Andheri on a Tuesday morning, which surprisingly was barely crowded and I earned myself a place to sit too! Mumbai locals never fail to surprise you. Don’t they?

I looked to my right, and skimmed through the houses that went by, chancing half a second glances into the lives of so many people. I saw a woman cooking in one house, Television switched on, in many others.

When I turned left, every single passenger in there was glued to their mobile phones and tabs, as if that was the only real world that existed. As if taking their eyes off might trigger a series of nuclear disasters.

A loud thud from a truck brought me back to reality. I didn’t realize when I missed my turn and kept walking. Sweat trickled down my left brow. I could feel a trickle down my lower back too. I stopped to catch up on my breath. Then smiled, I don’t know why. My father used to say I have an over active imagination.


I let the trucks cross, wrapped up my reading-the-faces business and increased my pace, and started running in the direction of the railway station, for it was 08:44 already.
----------------------

More to this story will be released in bits and parts, “Terribly short Chapters” actually. :)

Would love to know your views and feedback if any.

Cheers! 

Comments