The Hype Around New Year's Eve !

New Year’s Eve sounds great on the surface – glittery Nights, Shiny Dresses and OH SO MUCH Alcohol! But on 2nd thought, I don’t understand the hype around it.

There is so much pressure of showing off your party scenes on Social media that it robs the fun out of this really simple day that 31st Dec is. Don’t you think so?

So here are 10 reasons that make me wonder if the brouhaha around “New Years’ Eve” is really worth it:

1.       It’s Stressful
Where am I going to be?
Is there any (economical) party I can attend?
Who all will come along?
What will I wear?
Do I have a matching footwear and accessory?
Does my phone have enough memory space for the zillion pictures that will get clicked?

There’s so much to think of, and decide, and that like I earlier said “robs the fun out of the evening”.  

2.       Everything is SO dam expensive
Flowers? – Triple the price
Drinks? – Double the price
Starters? – Lesser in Quantity and added taxes
Pani Puri? – Bloody that too increases by Rs.10 and I am not okay with paying Rs.30 for something that can be savoured in Rs.20/- as well.
I am Cheap! And I know it ;)

3.      Death by Claustrophobia
There are people on the footpath, roads, malls, café, pubs! Not a single corner of the public spaces offers a moment of peace.

And for someone like me, who suffers from Claustrophobia, I cannot even think of stepping out. My house becomes my escape!  

4.      SO much Traffic
There are so many vehicles, that it makes me cringe! And in an impatient country like India, you end up swimming in a pool of red tail lights and a cacophony of honking cars.

5.      Party starts late
If at all you end up attending/hosting a party, be rest assured that it will not start at the confirmed time. Neither will it start 30 minutes hence. People end up coming late and then everything planned for the evening takes a toll.

6.      My newsfeed is SPAMMED
Ya… This is a real problem. My newsfeed (whether Facebook, Instagram or Pinterest), is full of pouting selfies, party scenes, pictures of women/men wearing nice glossy dresses, delicately holding a glass with their manicured hands!
  
And here i am, sitting on my bed, in the same pajamas I wore last night and the night before, munching on salt and pepper sausages. The Fear of missing out was never more real, believe me.

7.      If you don’t have a hangover, you haven’t partied enough
Fun Fact – Some Drinks don’t give you a hangover, and Some people don’t get a hangover. It does not mean they haven’t partied enough.

Also, what’s there to show off in a hangover anyway?
It’s rather sad that you started the year by not being in your senses. Think about it.

8.      Surge Pricing : Ola and Uber
Firstly, you will not get a cab on a NYE. Secondly, Even if you do, you will probably be broke by the time you reach, Thanks to the Surge pricing! I cannot emphasize enough on how expensive Ola and Uber become.

Even Auto-Rickshaws charge whatever the hell they feel like. And since we don’t have much of a choice, you agree.

If you have made till here, I am sure you know what kind of “New Year Plans” to expect from me.


Now because everyone’s asking me, I am going to ask you too, “What are your New Year Plans?” 

Comments