Get over my Uterus | Can we stop asking Women, when they plan to have a baby?

The questions started from the very day I got married.

“When are you planning a baby?”
“When are you giving us the good news?”
“All I want, is to see the grand-child, and then I can die in peace!”

With every passing Marriage Anniversary, the frequency of these questions and the number of questioning eyes, have only increased. So here is what I want to say to every single person who has ever asked any woman such a question, or plans to ask in future.

“Please understand, that just because I am married, having a baby is NOT the obvious next step. I could do whatever I want, whenever I want. It is ridiculous how even in 2019, the traditional conversations center around a woman’s ability and willingness to procreate.”

Men in general don’t get asked about their family planning calendar, so why ask this rather inappropriate question to a woman?

I know a lot of people get excited about pregnancies. And there is nothing that can lift the collective spirits of a group more than a baby. But there’s the thing, it is a very sensitive topic for women.

Some women don’t want to have a child at all, some have their timelines in place and then there are women who cannot conceive due to medical reasons. I also know of women who accidently got pregnant before marriage, choose to abort and then decided to conceive again when the time is right.

You never know what the woman (or couple) are going through on this front. And asking such a question, only makes it painfully uncomfortable.

You know what I mean?

So unless you are a very close friend, family or a concerned family doctor, think once again before asking this question to any woman. You may not be privy to that information.

In the end, it doesn’t really matter what you think because it’s my uterus and my eggs, and we’ll procreate if & when we want to.


But it is 2019. Does this question even stand valid? 

Comments