Holi | Then & Now

As much as Holi was about playing with colours, it was also about binging on countless Gujiyas, till my stomach would hurt. And this is the fondest memory growing up, of this festival.

My preparation for Holi celebrations used to start at least a week before. I would proudly tag along with my parents to the market every evening and coerce them to buy me ballons and little plastic water bags. My list never ended on these two items. What would follow was a funky new Pichkari, colours, colours and more colours.

Once the raw materials were in place, I and my sister would do the MOST important task - strategize. Which corner of the balcony to sit, which towel to hang in front of us, so that we don’t get caught throwing balloons, how many balloons to keep ready, how many plastic water bags to keep ready, what time to settle ourselves at the window, which colours will go in our pichkari and which ones to be used as dry colours.

Gosh! There were so many decisions to be made. Whoever says playing holi is a cake-walk, clearly hasn’t seen it from a 90s kid’s perspective!

The day would progress with us smearing each other with gulaal much before we stepped out of the house, so that fewer people pound on us. 2-3 hours of playing around, getting drenched, drying ourselves up and then getting drenched once again.

The selection of snacks in our society would be the same year after. Thandai, Potato Chips, Samosa/ Wada Pav and Puri-Bhaji. Not an item more, not an item less.

By 2pm we would all go home and fight as to who will take a bath first. Such silly little things, I tell you :)

Years passed, and what used to be childhood rituals, changed. I grew up. Not sure why, but I was always extremely conscious with my disproportionately growing body. One would always find me in oversized T-shirts and long skirts. So getting drenched head to toe in the name of Holi, became nothing but a nightmare.

Once some kids threw water balloons at me, unfortunately right in the middle of my chest. And that’s when I realized how bad it hurt. It was not at all funny, I felt offended and wanted to slap those kids’ right, left and center. However, I just rolled my eyes, growled a few words and walked away teary eyed.

That’s when I promised myself never to throw balloons at anyone else. Only dry colours was my thing. It still is.

We are all so busy making a living, that we sometimes, miss having a life. Isn’t it? As much as I appreciate where time has got me today, I miss that old school feel that Holi used to be. I miss being so carefree. Doing whatever the hell me and my sister wanted, knowing we were taken care of. We would not even acknowledge that catching up on laundry, preparing meals and arranging the house were tasks.

However, today the vibes with Holi as a festival has completely switched. For me – it’s just a day off that allows me to catch up on my laundry and household chores, meet a few friends and sleep a little longer. It’s no more about making Gujiyas. I mean, I don’t make them, but my mom does. And I eat them.

I am not being ungrateful... Don’t get me wrong. But all I am saying, that Holi was different then, and Holi is different now. So much different.


What was your favourite memory?

Comments

  1. Fantastic...Very Nostalgic. It takes me into my childhood days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still remember for us holi used to start a week before and every eve we rchd home drenched we were suppose to stand in corridor n get punished.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment