A Guide to Visiting New Mum & Baby | #MotherhoodUnplugged


Motherhood and infants are beautiful. But they are also incredibly exhausting and scary at times. There is nothing that uplifts the collective spirit of a group, as a baby does. Everyone seems excited to meet the new born.  But when it comes to new mothers’ emotions, just remember that she is experiencing a hurricane inside her. So here are a few things that you have GOT TO REMEMBER when visiting a new mum and baby.

1.       Call before you visit
A new born baby does not have any schedule, and a new mum is usually fighting against time to catch up on sleep, feed the baby every 2 hours, do laundry and endless daily chores. Your “surprise visit” will only turn into a shock if not informed earlier.

2.       Refrain from giving free advice
Don’t even get me started on how irritating, the free advice business is! I know aunties and uncles have raised more kids than I have, but I don’t want to listen to your advices unless asked for. I am not interested in knowing your thoughts on diapers v/s undies or powdered milk v/s breast milk etc. I may not know it all, but I am willing to learn things my way.

3.      Wash/ sanitise your hands
Hygiene is non-negotiable. This means you don’t have to feel offended when I ask you to wash and sanitise your hands before touching/coming close to my baby.

4.      Don’t visit with cold/flu
If hygiene is non-negotiable, then this is common sense. I have myself asked people to NOT come when they have flu.
 
5.      Don’t expect “Khaatirdari”
A new mum barely even gets the time to take a shower, so if you don’t feel pampered or hosted enough, then it is because that’s not on her priority list.

6.      Help with daily chores
If you see the mother struggling, yet multi-tasking, offering to help with daily chores will only seem like a blessing. Believe me.

7.      Don’t overstay please
A baby needs to be fed every 1.5 to 2 hours (depends from baby to baby), a new mum is still getting comfortable with her post partum body, she is on a look out for any moment that gives her 5 minutes nap time… so don’t over stay your visit, because if you do, then you are probably getting in way of these things.

8.      No kissing the baby
*Warning* - Your face, stays away from my baby’s face. Just putting it out there.

Are you also a new mama/parent? Did you resonate with these pointers? Drop your thoughts in the comment section below and let us know.

Comments

  1. Not now, but will be in future.😉
    Nice thought's and actually you described what happens in today's time. It's humerous as well as to the point.
    It will help the future parents for sure.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment