Am I turning into a version of my parents?? Reason #101

With a 13 month old toddler, my life is all about experiencing milestones. #blessed

When Renee was 7 months old, she said “mamaaa” and I squeaked in delight!

A few weeks after, she said “papaa” & “nana”, and we squeaked even louder!

She started sitting by herself… and then would try to hold on to things and stand.

This was followed by walking, running, mumbling and oh, so much more! :D

Life is as exciting as it can get. But let me take you down the memory lane – so you know what I mean when I wonder if I am “turning into a version of my parents”.

Growing up, I was inclined towards singing. So whenever any relatives or long lost family friends would arrive, after the few minutes of Hi, Hello & Paani lijiye… my parents would dive right in and nudge me to sing a song or two for them.

Of course I was embarrassed to death. But I could never fathom the courage to say no to my parents and would sing nonetheless. I never stopped wondering, “Why is it such a big deal that I sing?” or “It’s not like I sing as good as Lata Mangeshkar – so why are they so proud of shaky voice?”

Now that I am a mother – I find myself doing the exact same thing! :)

Renee’s favorite song is “Genda Phool by Badshah” and in the first 3 seconds alone she recognizes the song, throws her hands up in the air, beams ear to ear and starts moving her tiny waist!

My mother-in-law has taught her to wave “Bye-Bye” to anyone leaving house. She has promptly picked it up. Renee now, knows how to give “flying kisses” and doesn’t shy away from giving it away to anyone and everyone on the road.

When we request Renee by saying, “Shone mummy ko kissi kardo”, she tip toes her way to my lap, wets her lips and plants the squishiest and softest kiss in the whole freaking world - on my cheeks!

Now when I meet my parents or friends or even over video call with my colleagues – I cannot help but start nudging her by saying, “Shona, aunty ko flying kiss dedo” or “Bye Bye karke dikhao”.

Once Nisha (a very close friend of mine) came over to surprise me during lockdown. Of course I was elated and hugged her and couldn’t believe my eyes – but the very next minute I was playing Genda Phool on my phone and encouraging Renee to show a move or two! I mean!!!! What was I thinking!!?!

I don’t know why, but I feel like everyone must know what all my daughter can do as a 13 month old. If she has learnt something, the world must see. And appreciate. And believe me, this comes so naturally to me – that I myself, am surprised.  

Are all new parents/ mothers like this? I mean, do you guys also choose to be such show-off when it is about your child? Or is it just me turning into a version of my parents :)

Tell me in the comments below! 

Comments

  1. So elegantly written, that we went back 28years and started dreaming this the same we felt at that time. Renne is little different from other child's, more smarter and intelegent than the same age kids few years back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha ha... so true... its a natural reaction... all of us are so familiar... at barely 1, she is doing it.. let her grow a bit.. u will see a same dirty look that unknowingly u would hv given wen u were that age... life is a circle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautifully written n har bacche k bachapan ki kuch badi pyari si memories hoti hai jo hamesha yad rahati hai

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's quite natural what you are feeling. Also these are beautiful memories that you will cherish for lifetime:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I have to be a parent to understand this beautiful emotions

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment